Indian Students Association celebrates the Festival of Holi

The Indian Students Association (ISA) teamed with the India Cultural Association of East Alabama (ICAEA) to host this year’s Holi. 

Auburn Global and the University Cross-Cultural Center for Excellence also sponsored the event.

This year’s Holi took place on Cater Lawn on Sunday, March 5, from noon to 3 p.m. 

Sunday’s event attracted a turnout of 370 people, according to Former President of the Indian Students Association Viraja Khollam.

“As the tensions are high due to many political reasons, it is a great escape for everyone to forget that and enjoy the child in oneself," Khollam said.

The Festival of Holi is in celebration of the welcoming of spring. In parts of India, the summer and winter seasons can be harsh and the festival embarks the start of new season. 

“Festival is about to forgive and forget all the evil thoughts and things around us,” Khollam said.

The use of colors during the festival comes from the original use of flowers. 

“During spring, people use colors made from flowers to adapt or acclimate their skin for summer,” Khollam said. “In other parts of India, everyone is getting ready to face harsh summer by using these herbal colors to avoid sunburns.”

For color representation during this year’s festival, seven different organic colors from Oklahoma were used. 

“Before that they used to have chemical-treated colors, so we are happy that no one will have any skin trouble,” Khollam said.

The ISA decided on event dates in the fall and began preparation in January. Both the ISA and ICAEA work alongside one another to celebrate this event on campus.

Fast-beat Indian music played throughout the festival, accompanied by Zumba-certified instructors from the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center to lead the dancing. 

Authentic Indian food was given out at the event as well.

“It’s pure fun, food and freebies, like T-shirts," Khollam said. “The weather is beautiful so it was the perfect day to have the event.”

Share and discuss “Indian Students Association celebrates the Festival of Holi” on social media.