Junior named finalist for Harry S. Truman Scholarship

Hallie Nelson, junior pre-ecological-biosystems engineering, has been named a finalist for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship. 

Though the application process was lengthy, Nelson said she enjoyed the time for reflection.

“The application for the Truman Scholarship is extremely long, but it was an awesome way to reflect on my past experiences and think about my future goals,” Nelson said. “There were about 10 pages of essays. I enjoyed writing the essays about my leadership experience, public service work and career goals.”

The Harry S. Truman scholarship was created by Congress in 1975 to honor the United States’ 33rd president. 

It’s a competitive scholarship, which is granted to U.S. college juniors possessing three qualities: a commitment to a life of public service, outstanding leadership and academic excellence. 

Paul Harris, Auburn's national prestigious scholarship advisor, said he knew she'd be an ideal candidate when he met her last year.

“I met Hallie last year in the spring of 2016 at an ePortfolio award banquet,” Harris said. “We sat at the same table and talked. That’s when I thought that she would be an ideal candidate for this scholarship because she exemplifies all three requirements."

The two were talking to each other at the ePortflio Award Banquet when Harris said he suggested she apply for the Truman Scholarship. 

Harris helped throughout the application process, Nelson said.

“I am so glad I was able to meet him,” Nelson said. “The Truman Foundation values align so well with my own.”

The Truman scholarship allows funding for the first year of graduate school for any graduate school of the winner’s choice in the United States. 

This year there were approximately 800 applicants from across the country. Of these applicants, 199 finalists were chosen, two of which were from Alabama. 

These finalists have been interviewed and approximately one scholar per state will be selected to win the scholarship.

“I didn’t believe it when I got the email that I was selected as a finalist,” Nelson said. "The email came a full week before I was told I would hear about the decision, so I thought it was a mistake. I called Dr. Harris and left a voicemail saying I got his email, but it might be a mistake.”

Following the phone call she made to Dr. Harris, he called back confirming that she was indeed a finalist for the Truman Scholarship. 

“It is such an honor to even be a finalist and get to represent Auburn in the competition,” Nelson said. “I also got the chance to meet some amazing people from around the Southeast while interviewing with the finalists from Alabama, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. 

Nelson’s interview was held in Atlanta. The finalists are all required to be present for a full day of interviewing, though each of the candidates were only interviewed during a 20-minute conversation.

“Spending all day with the other finalists was a great experience,” Nelson said. “We got to talk about public service and public policy issues that we care about and learn from each other.”

Because of the nature of the scholarship, several candidates shared similar interests, which Nelson said made the environment very welcoming.

“Though we were competing with the other finalists from our state, everyone would cheer for you as you left the room for your interview,” Nelson said. “We were all just excited to be there and wanted each person to have the best interview they possibly could."

The candidates will hear in mid-April who the 2017 Truman Scholars are. 

Share and discuss “Junior named finalist for Harry S. Truman Scholarship” on social media.