'Let's Start the Conversation' kicks off Mental Health Week

Mental Health Week kicked off in the Foy Auditorium for a panel discussion held by the Mental Health Taskforce.

Those hosting the event recognized the lack of turnout for the event as one of the many indicators of the stigma surrounding mental illnesses. 

This understanding grew to discussion of the many different ways Auburn can approach this week and the future to better address the discussion, or lack thereof, on the topic.

The panel leading the event’s discussion consisted of officers of Active Minds sharing opinions and suggestions for opening the discussion and breaking down the stigma surrounding mental health. Each took their personal experiences and applied it to Auburn’s campus suggesting various steps Auburn can take in becoming proactive.

Proposed plans included the University offering classes surrounding mental health and implementing more mental health awareness into the first year experience. The students participating went around and recognized a lack of initiative taken in the beginning of college on mental health. 

A consensus grew around better informing students and faculty of mental health so an understanding could be generated. 

The event highlighted Mental Wealth Week as a notion to encourage positive thought and students coming together for more than just a week.

A stressed concept during the event was student involvement. The Mental Health Taskforce is a result of student action as well as Mental Wealth Week. Recognizing the initiative students are taking, the discussion then turned on the University’s responsibility.

Students at the event said Auburn’s push for mental health is inferior to that of physical health.

In comparison to  facilities such as the Rec Center and nutrition initiatives like the Wellness Kitchen, mental health holds one section of the medical clinic. Students at the event said this was disappointing to them. 

Share and discuss “'Let's Start the Conversation' kicks off Mental Health Week” on social media.