Mustapha Heron named to All-SEC Freshman team

Auburn freshman Mustapha Heron made more Auburn history Tuesday, as the SEC announced Heron was named to the All-SEC Freshman team.

Heron ranked ninth in the SEC with a team-high 15.2 points per game. He also led the Tigers with 5.8 rebounds per game, which was good for 18th in the SEC.

The Waterbury, Connecticut native has scored at least 10 points in 30 of 31 games this season. Heron broke the Auburn freshman record by scoring in double figures in the first 25 games of his career. He has led Auburn in scoring nine times this season to go along with six 20-point performances.

Heron, the only Auburn player to start every game this season, scored 20 points three times in SEC play against Ole Miss, at Texas A&M and in the season finale vs. Missouri. He also recorded two double-doubles in his freshman campaign with a season-high 24 points and 10 rebounds vs. Eastern Kentucky and 15 points and 12 rebounds vs. Oklahoma.

Heron, the first five-star in Auburn history, is the Tigers’ first SEC All-Freshman selection since DeWayne Reed in 2007.

Heron was also named to the SEC Community Service Team, which was announced last week.

Auburn opens the SEC Tournament Wednesday night at approximately 8:30 p.m. vs. Missouri. The game can be seen on the SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Mustapha Heron named to All-SEC Freshman team” on social media.