No. 2 Florida topples No. 4 Auburn in Gainesville

Kaylee Carlson suffered her first loss of the season, as the No. 4 Auburn Tigers fell on the road in game one of their three game series against No. 2 Florida, 4-3 on Saturday evening.

The Gators (28-1, 6-0 SEC) took the opening game by way of a Nicole DeWitt single in the bottom of the 7th inning. DeWitt’s hit scored a pair of runners, assisted by an error, to overcome a 3-2 deficit. Florida’s Aleshia Ocasio picked up her sixth win of the season, leading off the Gators’ year with a 6-0 record.

Auburn’s Kaylee Carlson (15-1) was coming off her historical performance against the Ohio State Buckeyes over a week ago, when the junior tossed just the second perfect game in Auburn’s history. Carlson allowed only two earned runs by the Gators and rifled four strikeouts.

Florida spotted the Tigers a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Auburn knotted the game at two a piece in the fifth inning by way of a Victoria Draper single and a Courtney Shea double. Casey McCrackin then connected on a bunt in the same inning to score Bree Fornis from third, capturing the 3-2 lead.

Auburn (27-4, 2-2 SEC) turned in five hits and five walks in the losing effort. The Tigers will attempt to avoid their first SEC series loss of the season when they square off with the Gators in game two Sunday night. The top-five matchup can be seen on ESPN2, with the first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m. CST. 

Share and discuss “No. 2 Florida topples No. 4 Auburn in Gainesville” on social media.