Tigers down UGA in game one of series

Daniel Robert earned his first career collegiate win on the mound and got the game winning hit for No. 16 Auburn on Friday night as they defeated Georgia by a score of 2-1.

Auburn won its ninth in a row to improve to 19-5 on the season and 4-0 in the SEC. This is the first time in program history that Auburn has started 4-0 in SEC play.

“I’m as happy as with this win as any this season. We couldn’t get anything going. It’s so easy to defend pop ups and strikeouts. I give their pitcher, Gist, all the credit. We struggled to have good at-bats,” said Auburn head coach Butch Thompson.

Georgia (9-14, 0-4 SEC) took a 1-0 lead in the fifth inning.

The lead would last.  Luke Jarvis started the eighth inning with a leadoff triple for the Tigers. Jarvis scored on a Georgia error to tie the game at 1-1.

Later in the inning Will Holland scored off a RBI single by Daniel Robert to make the score 2-1.

Auburn ace Keegan Thompson hadn’t thrown less than six innings yet this season, but he was replaced after only pitching four innings for precautionary reasons. He struck out three Georgia batters and only allowed three hits.

Robert came entered the game after Thompson, and got a big strikeout in the seventh to end the inning

Robert then tossed a scoreless eighth inning, setting up Cole Lipscomb in the ninth to record his fifth save of the season.

“I think that’s my first win since maybe junior high, pitching. So I don’t really know what to do now,” Robert said.

Auburn will try to win the series tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Tigers down UGA in game one of series” on social media.