Tigers suffer first SEC series loss of the season in 7-0 bludgeoning by Florida

Florida sophomore Kelly Barnhill (11-0) tossed 16 strikeouts and allowed only two hits, as the Gators steamrolled the Auburn Tigers, 7-0 on Sunday night in Gainesville, Florida.

Makayla Martin suffered the loss for the Tigers, dropping her 2017 record to 12-4. Martin pitched 4.1 innings, allowing eight hits and all seven Florida runs in 25 batters faced. Freshman Ashlee Swindle served as Auburn’s reliever.

Most of the damage was done in the fifth inning, when Florida (29-1, 7-0 SEC) trounced the Tigers for five runs. The Gator offense was propelled by senior outfielder Chelsea Herndon, who finished 2 for 2 at the plate, with four runs batted in. Amanda Lorenz, Kayli Kvistad and Aleshia Ocasio added to the rout by each tacking on an RBI a piece.

The visiting offense was held in check by Barnhill for the majority of the night, as Auburn (27-5, 2-3 SEC) only landed multiple runners on base a single time and turned in only a pair of hits. Clint Meyers and the Tigers will look to avoid the sweep on Monday night, when the teams meet for their game three tilt at 6 p.m. CST on the SEC Network. 

Share and discuss “Tigers suffer first SEC series loss of the season in 7-0 bludgeoning by Florida” on social media.