Auburn earns first top-five ranking since 2003

After taking two-of-three from No. 16 Arkansas over the weekend, Auburn earned its highest ranking since April 14, 2003.

Auburn entered this week’s Baseball America Top 25 at No. 5, jumping five spots from No. 10 last week.

The Tigers won its 30th game of the season Sunday behind Josh Anthony and Andrew Mitchell. Anthony, who was named SEC Player of the Week, finished the series vs. Arkansas 9-for-12 (.750) with three doubles, one home run, seven RBI and five runs scored. He went 4-for-5 Sunday afternoon with two doubles, three RBI and two runs scored to pace the Auburn offense.

Mitchell, who suffered his first loss of the season Saturday, earned his fifth win of the year in a sensational bounce-back performance Sunday. He pitched the final five innings of the series-clinching win, allowing one run on three hits while striking out three without a walk.

The SEC leads the nation with seven teams ranked in the Top 25. Auburn joins No. 8 Mississippi State, No. 10 Kentucky, No. 11 Florida, No. 15 LSU, No. 16 Arkansas and No. 19 Texas A&M.

The Tigers (30-12, 12-6) are currently tied for second in the SEC West, one game behind Mississippi State. Auburn will travel to Starkville this weekend for a crucial three-game series at Dudy Noble Field.

Prior to the road trip to Starkville, Auburn will host Troy Tuesday night at Plainsman Park for its final home non-conference game. First pitch between the Tigers and Trojans is set for 6 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Auburn earns first top-five ranking since 2003” on social media.