Auburn offense throttles Georgia 13-4 to win series

The Tiger offense smashed 13 hits and 13 runs on Saturday night, en route to a series-clinching 13-4 victory over the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens.

Kendall Veach spearheaded the offensive explosion with two home runs and four RBIs. The sophomore second baseman smashed a solo homer in the top of the fifth and another in the top of the seventh. Her second long-yarder scored a trio of runners and put the finishing touches on Auburn’s 13-point night.

Veach received a fair share of assistance at the plate as well. Seven different Tigers recorded a hit and Auburn drew eight walks in the victory. Catcher Carlee Wallace led off the evening with a solo homer in the top of the first to spot the Bulldogs a 1-0 deficit. Wallace batted in four runs for the game. The win in Athens was the first game since March 19th against LIU Brooklyn in which the Tigers turned in a double-digit scoring performance.

Innings two and four each scored four runs for fifth-ranked Auburn. (30-5, 5-3 SEC) Wallace waxed a triple in the second, moving her to third and scoring three runners. Haley Fagan walked for the sixth-straight time in the series to load the bases for Courtney Shea, who hit a sacrifice pop-out to score Wallace to push the lead to 5-2.

Freshman Justus Perry highlighted the fourth stanza by scoring two runs with her single, after being subbed in to pinch-hit for Victoria Draper.

Georgia (27-9, 2-6 SEC) began to rally in the sixth, when sophomore Alyssa DiCarlo bombed a two-run homer to trim the lead to 10-4. Back to back doubles followed, shifting the energy within Jack Turner Stadium in favor of the home squad. Makayla Martin escaped however, weathering runners on second and third with one out.

Martin (13-4) picked up her first SEC victory of 2017, pitching all seven innings. The sophomore endured seven hits and four runs while tossing a pair of strikeouts. The game two victory for Auburn is their seventh straight over the rival Bulldogs. Auburn will go for the series sweep tomorrow, when they take on No. 18 UGA at 11 a.m. CST in Athens. 

Share and discuss “Auburn offense throttles Georgia 13-4 to win series” on social media.