Passover Seder held to unite local Jewish community

The Jewish community of Auburn University gathered together in the Red Barn to celebrate Passover Seder on Wednesday, April 12.

Passover Seder is an opportunity for the Jewish people to remember the struggle of the Hebrews on their exodus from Egypt and reflect on the qualities that gave the Hebrews, particularly the prophet Elijah, such a powerful mindset in their resistance to tyranny and their search for justice.

A welcome card on one of the tables reminds congregants to “open [their] mouths against those espousing messages of tyranny, bigotry and hate.”

For the Jewish community of Auburn, a mix of students, university faculty and local families, this is an important time to come together as one, following along as the Rabbi leads them through the rituals that culminate in a buffet-style feast on brisket, chicken, potatoes and quinoa.

Jeremy Newman, sophomore and president of Alpha Epsilon Pi, expressed his appreciation for the event and its timely nature.

“With the events of the past week on campus, we believe unity to be even more important at this time," Newman said.

“Many of us in the local community have been shaken by the rhetoric spread by flyers or certain speakers who have invited themselves to our campus,” Newman said. "It’s great to come together, be together and celebrate our heritage.” 

Inspired by Elijah and the feeling of community of Seder, the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity will be hosting an outdoor screening of "Seinfeld" Tuesday evening April 18. Newman said it's an effort to bring the Auburn community together. The fraternity will be promoting the event and educating the public on peaceful ways to resist hate speech on the concourse all Tuesday as well.

Lily Buder, sophomore and president of the university Hillel chapter, also expressed her gratitude to come together as one community in song and prayer.

“This Seder is a really importance chance to remember the struggles and heritage we share.” Buder said. "Especially with what we’ve experienced recently on campus, I think it’s important for us to unabashedly practice and celebrate our religion.”

“We’re here, and we’re here to stay,” Buder said. “We aren’t going anywhere.”  

Share and discuss “Passover Seder held to unite local Jewish community” on social media.