Police arrest 22-year-old Tuskegee man in connection with vehicle burglaries

Auburn Police Division a man from Tuskegee in connection with two vehicle burglaries.

Police arrested Jeremy D. Ewell, 22, from Tuskegee, on warrants charging him with two counts of unlawful breaking and entering of a vehicle, two counts of fourth-degree theft of property and two counts of third-degree possession of a forged instrument, police said.

The arrest is the result of an investigation into auto burglaries that occurred between April 23 and 26 on DeKalb Street and East Longleaf Drive. According to the victims, someone unlawfully entered their vehicles, a 2008 Jeep Liberty and a 2012 Hyundai Sonata, while they were parked at their residences. Police say the suspect stole checkbooks from their vehicles.

Police developed Ewell as a suspect in both cases. He was captured on video surveillance at two local banks and identified cashing two of the checks stolen during the break ins, police said. Police obtained warrants for Ewell's arrest and he was found in Opelika and taken into custody.

Ewell is being held in the Lee County Jail on an $11,500 bond. The investigation is ongoing, and additional charges are anticipated, police said.

Share and discuss “Police arrest 22-year-old Tuskegee man in connection with vehicle burglaries” on social media.