Streaking Tigers cooled by Georgia Tech in 11-8 loss

Auburn pitcher Gabe Klobosits (40) during Auburn Tigers baseball vs. Georgia Tech. on Tuesday, April. 4, 2017, in Auburn, Ala.

Stymied by the offensive explosion of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, the No. 11 Auburn Tigers fell on Tuesday night at Plainsman Park, 11-8. The Tigers scored eight runs and tallied nine hits, however the Yellow Jackets bested the home squad in both of those categories, recording 11 runs and a whopping 15 hits.

The Tigers turned four double plays to make that 33 on the season, the most in the SEC. At the plate, Luke Jarvis, Daniel Robert, Conor Davis and Mike Rojas would all record RBIs for Auburn. Jonah Todd, Bowen McGuffin and Will Holland also recorded hits in the contest. 

Auburn started out slow, as Georgia Tech spotted the streaking Tigers a 5-0 lead after the first inning.

“I think this weekend they will want to come out and redeem themselves," Auburn head coach Butch Thompson said. "I don’t think in 48 hours that we have forgot how to play competitive baseball. Tonight was disappointing. We didn’t get the game underway properly. I thought we were chasing that all night.”

Auburn would bounce back and score eight runs in the bottom of the third inning to tie a season high for runs in an inning. Jarvis slapped a double down the left field line to get the Tigers on the board. A single by Robert would drive in two and bring Auburn within two runs. Davis would be the next batter up and he would walk to bring in another run. Later in the inning, Rojas hit a three run triple for the Tigers to take the lead at 7-5. Jarvis would bat again in the inning and get another RBI to bring the score to 8-5. The Tigers would not threaten again until the eighth inning when they left McGuffin on third base.

Georgia Tech would score two in the fourth to bring the score within one run. In the fifth inning, a home run for the Yellow Jackets gave the visitors from Atlanta back the lead. Kyle McCann hit a slicing shot down the right field line. Scoring would halt until the ninth inning, when Coleman Poje would hit a bomb for the Jackets that would bring the score to 11-8.

On the mound for Auburn, Daniel Sprinkle would record the loss. He would strike out five on the night and concede the McCann homer. Auburn travels to Texas A&M this Friday at 6:30 CST. Coach Thompson expects ace Keegan Thompson to be back in the pitching rotation for the Tigers.

Share and discuss “Streaking Tigers cooled by Georgia Tech in 11-8 loss” on social media.