Tigers can't hang on to early lead, fall to Arkansas

No. 10 Auburn (29-12, 11-6 SEC) fell Saturday at Plainsman Park 7-3 to No. 16 Arkansas (32-9, 12-6 SEC).

Auburn continued at the plate Saturday where they left off on Friday night. The Tigers jumped out to a 3-0 lead after two innings over the visiting Razorbacks.

It would not last.

The bats cooled off as Auburn only totaled two hits after the second inning.

In the first inning, Daniel Robert recorded a sacrifice fly and Conor Davis roped a RBI up the middle which gave Auburn a 2-0 lead. Jonah Todd tacked on to that lead in the second with a single to make it 3-0.

Arkansas tied the game in the bottom of the third. Luke Bonfield scored a run with a sacrifice fly to centerfield, and Jared Gates smashed a two run homer for the Razorbacks.

The sixth inning was the turning point of the game.

In the top half of the inning, Arkansas scored two runs to make the score 5-3. Auburn would have three batters hit by pitch in the bottom half of the inning, but could not score. Todd struck out with the bases loaded to end the threat.

14 Auburn batters would strikeout on the day.

“I thought sixth inning was the difference in the game. We walked three. I am glad they didn’t bust the game open there. The bases were loaded with no one out. They got two runs and that was the difference in the game. That is why keep harping about being able to shove the ball in the strike zone. When you can’t do that then it is tough for us. The reason I though the whole sixth inning was important was because we come back out in the bottom half and they hit three batters. We wound up leaving the bases loaded and didn’t score.”

Arkansas scored two unearned runs in the ninth to make the score 7-3.

Todd finished 2-5 at the plate on the day with a RBI. Josh Anthony went 2-3 and scored a run. Daniel Robert and Conor Davis added RBI’s for Auburn.

“I thought we were distracted by the umpire, Thompson said. “We should trust our fans. Allow them to be on the umpire and for us coaches to protect them. I thought that we started worrying about that, and it made it tougher for us. Not as sound of a game for us since we were trying to win a series.”

Davis Daniel started on the mound for Auburn and lasted five innings. He would allow three earned runs on five hits. Andrew Mitchell would come on in relief for Daniel and only pitch a third of an inning. He would allow two hits and two earned runs and record the loss.

“We have to have better at bats, play better defense and shove the ball in the strike zone tomorrow. That’s what we didn’t do as good as we have been doing. If we can do that, then there will be no disappointment. We did not play at our best today, but we cannot get that back. What we will get is tomorrow’s game though.”

Auburn will try and win the series tomorrow at 3 p.m. CST. Ryan Watson will start on the mound tomorrow for the Tigers.

Share and discuss “Tigers can't hang on to early lead, fall to Arkansas” on social media.