Woody Barrett ready for sophomore season

With six quarterbacks now on the roster for Auburn, redshirt freshman Woody Barrett falls further behind in recognition. The dual-threat talent from Winter Garden, Florida, sat out the 2016 season as a member of the scout team.

As spring football edges nearer, Barrett looks to throw his name into the ballot for the starting quarterback position for the 2017 season.

Both he and Auburn’s newfound prodigal son, Jarrett Stidham, stand at 6-foot-2, with Barrett having the edge on size at 231 pounds. His dual-threat capabilities, which became evident later in the season for last season’s starter, Sean White, are only rivaled by Netflix phenom John Franklin III. Franklin proved unwise for an unruly quarterback carousel, struggling to throw the ball downfield.

“I’m no quarterbacks coach, but I think he has one of the strongest arms in the group,” running back Kerryon Johnson said. “He’s got a cannon. He believes in his arm.”

Barrett will be participating in his first spring game on The Plains, allowing the public to watch him play for the first time since stepping into an Auburn uniform. It is hoped that, with concerns to how last season’s rotation fell through, Barrett will create stability among presumed madness.

“Woody is a talented guy,” offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. “He’s still trying to figure out his first spring. I’m excited about his progress.”

Lindsey is transitioning away from an Arizona State offense where the Sun Devils accumulated 3,111 total passing yards for 2016. The Sun Devils also ran for 1,578 yards despite boasting the third-best total in rushing touchdowns for the Pac-12 at 27.

In comparison, Auburn threw for 2,203 yards on 136 fewer attempts, rushing for 3,527 yards on 170 more attempts. It is assumed that, as Lindsey transitions to Auburn, he will look to utilize the quarterback position with more assumed flair.

Stidham’s arrival on the Plains not only presents danger to Barrett’s chances for making a move, but challenges White’s future as a Tiger.

White completed his season in a Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma, suffering a broken right arm. Throwing for 1,679 yards on a 63.9 completion percentage and nine touchdowns in 2016 might have implied White would staple himself at the helm until graduation. However, as White is continuing to recover, the conversation continues to drift from already established Tigers in favor of Stidham.

In an attempt to capitalize on White’s recovery process, Barrett brings controversy over whether the starting position is already determined.

His competitive play since spring practice began has taken notice of many, with implications of further growth and fury entering April.

“Anytime you are a highly recruited guy and you redshirt, it takes a little bit to get back in the flow,” head coach Gus Malzahn said. “But he knows he’s competing now, and you can see a difference in him.

“You can tell Woody’s more confident than he was and starting to settle in.”

With all of Jordan-Hare glaring, daring him to prove more worthy than Stidham, Barrett faces a task that might not only define his own career, but the path of Auburn football moving forward.

“Woody literally believes he will score every play,” Johnson continued, “to a point, that's what you got to love.

“I think he’s got a good chance to be very good.”

Share and discuss “Woody Barrett ready for sophomore season” on social media.