Auburn clinches seventh SEC series behind Daniel's gem

Auburn scored just four runs in its three losses at LSU last weekend. All the bats needed was a return home to Plainsman Park.

No. 23 Auburn followed its 4-1 series-opening win with a 9-1 pounding of Ole Miss.

Auburn started early, scoring two runs in the first inning on a Josh Anthony two-run single.

The Tigers added two runs in the third on RBI doubles by Jay Estes and Blake Logan.

Auburn’s biggest inning of the night came in the fifth, when the Tigers scored four runs, three coming with two outs. Bo Decker started the fourth-inning scoring with a RBI double. The scoring was capped by a two-out, Conor Davis two-run double off the top of the Monster in left.

Davis Daniel was spectacular for the Tigers, going 6.1 innings and striking out eight, tying a career-high. He allowed one run on four hits and threw a career-high 106 pitches. It was his first time to allow less than three runs since April 15 at Tennessee.

“Just coming out and really trusting my fastball was the main thing,” Daniel said. “Coming through the year, you learn a lot and you learn to go to your best stuff when you need it. Today my best stuff was my fastball. I think it was my best fastball of the year.”

“You’re proud of so many guys when they have moments, but I am not more proud of anybody this year than to see him do what he did tonight,” Auburn head coach Butch Thompson said. “He really stepped up. He moved up a day, and we really put an aggressive mindset with him. We threw a ton of fastballs, especially with two strikes. He kept driving the baseball, kept competing. Just so excited to see him walk out there for the seventh inning and made a difference.”

The victory gave Auburn its 16th SEC win, ensuring its first SEC winning record since 2010 and second since 2003. The win also gave Auburn its seventh SEC-series victory of the season.

“We are just a growing program,” Thompson said. “There’s 20 brand new players and playing 10 weeks in the best conference in America. There’s been highs, there’s been lows. At the end of the day, these guys can say they won seven out of 10 Southeastern Conference series.”

Gabe Klobosits pitched the final 2.2 innings for the Tigers, holding the Rebels scoreless. Davis finished the night 3-for-5 with three RBI. Logan, Estes and Todd each had two hits for the Tigers.

Ole Miss starter Ryan Rolison lasted just 3.2 innings, allowing five runs on seven hits. He fell to 6-3 on the season. Tate Blackman finished 1-for-4 with a RBI for the Rebels.

Auburn improved to 34-21 with the win and 16-13 in the SEC. Ole Miss fell 31-24 and 13-16.

Auburn will go for the sweep of the Rebels Saturday at 1:00 p.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn clinches seventh SEC series behind Daniel's gem” on social media.