Celebrations for 125 years of Auburn women begin this fall

They came in abiding by a dress code and curfew. They fought for their rights to higher education, and this year marks 125 years of women at Auburn University.

The 125 years of women at Auburn University celebration will include a series of events, keynote speakers and a gala.

The last celebration was the centennial where the book, “Blossoms Amid the Deep Verdure: A Century of Women at Auburn, 1892-1992,” by Leah Rawls Atkins was published in celebration.

In the book, Atkins wrote how many women in the first two decades of the twentieth century enrolled thanks to a pre-existing connection to the university. This changed over time as faculty became more open to women in higher education.

“In the past 25 years, we’ve grown so much as an institution and country with equality, so the University saw it as an opportunity to really celebrate in a meaningful way,” said Jaylin Goodwin, intern for the Women’s Leadership Institute.

Goodwin said the 125 team is making a conscious effort to get Auburn women back on campus to tell stories of their successes and celebrate the education that got them there.

The Alumni Center has launched a website where Auburn alumni can submit their stories post-college and from their time at the University. These stories will play a role in the 125 celebrations.

Aside from events and speakers, the new Mell Classroom building will feature an interactive permanent monument that will teach the history, and stand as a reminder of how women got to Auburn, Goodwin said.

Speakers have not been selected yet, but announcements will be made toward the beginning of the fall semester.

Share and discuss “Celebrations for 125 years of Auburn women begin this fall” on social media.