Keck's start and what's next for SGA

Everything SGA President Jacqueline Keck got involved in throughout her first years at Auburn started with someone asking her to just give an idea — a role on campus — a chance.

Way back when, Keck gave Auburn a chance.

Having studied at the University of Alabama for early college, she thought she had found her four-year fix with the Crimson Tide.

It wasn’t until friends from Girls State, a summer leadership and citizenship program, encouraged her to give Auburn a shot that she visited the campus.

“I came, and I fell in love with the campus like everyone else does,” Keck said. “You feel the warmth, and I came to Auburn because of that.”

Despite the 180 switch from Elephants to Eagles, Keck knew no matter where she was she wanted to be involved. Keck said she never knew it would be to the extent it is now, though.

Keck was heavily involved in her highschool’s Student Government Association and had a heart for what they were doing. More specifically, Keck cared deeply about bridging the gap between the community and student body.

When she arrived at Auburn, a senior in her sorority mentored her and encouraged her to pursue Freshman Leadership Program.

She went through the interview process for Freshman Forum and was chosen.

After learning the ropes, she was encouraged by the same sorority sister to run for senator. She won by a slim margin.

Following the same theme as before, she ran for a leadership position in the senate and once again succeeded.

On the side, she found herself applying, being chosen and working as a War Eagle Girl.

“It is so much fun to romp around the town with them and go to away games with some of my best friends,” Keck said.

Keck’s attributes her story and what she has done at Auburn to others encouraging her.

“People kind of encouraged me and saw something in me that I didn’t see in myself, and they gave me the confidence and a little push to get me going,” Keck said.

Keck said she bases her successes in hard work but never thought she would be SGA president. She tries to encourage fellow students to work hard as well and give their dreams a shot.

“Even if you don’t get it, that’s okay,” Keck said. “I have learned more from what I haven’t gotten than what I have.”

Platform, initiatives and changes to come

“Dining is a big one,” Keck said.

Auburn will receive a new dining contract next spring and SGA is working to ensure students’ thoughts are heard and considered when working toward a new arrangement.

Keck said SGA is pushing heavily for dining hall style eateries to enforce an element of community she sees as crucial to Auburn.

“The culture of dining at Auburn will be changing and this year we are laying the foundation for that,” Keck said.

Keck said SGA plans to engage students as much as possible when trying out different dining options. She said they want to know what students like and what they don’t.

Another project Keck is working on is the Auburn Intern Housing Initiative. This program matches current Auburn students with Auburn alumni to provide housing as the current student interns in said city.

Rent is free, allowing students the luxury of not having to take on multiple rents on top of other living expenses. The pilot program is in Washington, D.C.

There is a project in place to work toward a professional clothing closet.

This closet would serve as a check-out station for students that are in need of presentation or interview clothing.

This project was piloted and founded by former Miss Auburn, Madison Rolling. During her time in office, she held a clothing drive to start the process of getting the closet up and running.

Keck said she has a team of four students working to further the project and have it functional as soon as they can.

Startup date has not been decided yet.

SGA is working to rebrand as the next year begins. They hope to tell their story better and have more influence and communication with the student body.

Keck encourages students to follow SGA on Instagram and Twitter for more information about what is coming down the line this year and to give feedback. The rebranding process will be evident on all of their social media platforms, Keck said. 

Share and discuss “Keck's start and what's next for SGA” on social media.