Make Music Day to celebrate music around the world

Make Music Day, a free music festival, will take place in cities around the world on June 21.

Unlike typical music festival, Make Music Day is open to anyone who wants to take part in creating music. Musicians of all backgrounds and skill levels are encouraged to participate in and support music.

The nearest official participant of the festival is located in Atlanta, with Huntsville hosting the only officially registered Make Music Day celebration in Alabama.

“One of the great inspirations of the Make Music Huntsville organizers is the desire to enhance music creativity throughout the community,” said Pam Jordan, Chairwoman of Make Music Huntsville. “Because Make Music Day happens on the summer solstice, the longest day, remarkable musical opportunities exist literally in the streets whereby musicians that might not normally play together may by chance find themselves making music at the same venue. The events entertain the community as it strengthens the network that supports our music community.”

There are over 50 cities listed as participants on the Make Music Day official site, and Jordan expects this year’s attendance to be in the several thousands.

Musical activities and performances will take numerous forms like Ella Fitzgerald karaoke, ukulele lessons, bucket drumming instruction and competition, a kid’s only band led by Dr. Curley and the Rocket City Clown Alley and a performance by the U.S. Army Materiel Command Band.

“We're covering in our programming everything from instruction, jam sessions to mass appeals and patriotic performances,” Jordan said. “Some venues are opening their doors and welcoming artists to come creatively so none of us know what will come out of those music experiences and that's very exciting. We expect a star will be made here June 21.”

Because this is the first year that Make Music Day is being celebrated in Huntsville, there is no specific theme or precedent set, but Jordan believes the Huntsville community will embrace the new music festival.

“There is immense talent here in Huntsville. Huntsville's entertainment district is growing quickly which means new faces are seeing our city with fresh eyes,” Jordan said. “We've explained Make Music Huntsville to many, and we know for some it's going to take them actually experiencing make music day to come full circle with the best understanding of what Make Music Huntsville is and how they can become involved.”

Share and discuss “Make Music Day to celebrate music around the world” on social media.