Tigers battle for first-ever series win in Tuscaloosa

For the first time in the history of Auburn softball, the Tigers have won a series in Tuscaloosa.

By way of Makayla Martin’s efforts in the circle and Alyssa Rivera’s heroics at the plate, ninth-ranked Auburn defeated No. 14 Alabama Saturday night, 4-1 at Rhodes Stadium. The win was Auburn’s fifth-straight over the Crimson Tide, also a record.

“We play it one game at a time,” Auburn head coach Clint Myers said. “I don’t know the history or the rivalry, though I’m starting to. Winning five in a row against this team is great. They’re an outstanding team that is well-coached.”

Martin (18-5) allowed only one earned run in her second SEC contest since returning from her suspension. The sophomore pitched six innings and allowed seven hits.

In the top of the fifth inning, Auburn’s Kasey Cooper was hit by a pitch in her right arm. The senior couldn’t shake it off and had to leave the game, forcing freshman Justus Perry into the first base spot while Kendall Veach slid over to third.

Carlee Wallace brought home the first run with a bases-loaded walk, followed by Alyssa Rivera’s monster of a double. Rivera scored a trio, pushing the lead to 4-0, Auburn’s largest of the series.

Alabama looked to respond in the next stanza, loading the bases with two outs. With the tying run at the plate, Martin dished out a full-count strike to Alabama’s Reagan Dykes to escape.

Kaylee Carlson, the winner of Friday’s game one contest, replaced Martin in the seventh. The Tide began to show signs of a rally, as Alabama (39-15, 11-11 SEC) put two on with no outs thanks to Justus Perry’s inefficient fielder’s choice. Perry elected to chase down the runner at first instead of tossing to second to halt offensive advancement, but couldn’t reach the base in time. Carlson closed out the contest unscathed, recording a scoreless save for Tigers after Alabama put runners on the corners with one out.

Auburn (45-8, 17-6 SEC) will attempt their third SEC sweep of 2017 on Sunday, when the Tigers and Tide do battle for the final time in the regular season. First pitch is set for noon CST in Tuscaloosa. Fans can catch the action at home on ESPN2. 

Share and discuss “Tigers battle for first-ever series win in Tuscaloosa” on social media.