Cooking with Anne: Veggie fries three ways

Everybody loves french fries, but not everybody loves all of the grease and calories associated with them.

The two don't always have to be grouped together, though. These recipes for vegetable fries can satisfy your fry craving and also help you get in a serving of your favorite veggies without sacrificing flavor or taste.

1. Potato fries

Frech fries are such a classic and can satisfy anyone. This recipe, however, subtracts all of the greasy oil and instead gives you a crispy baked wedge that is sure to taste just as good.

Just cut up a potato into wedges (or thinner is you please). Toss them in olive oil spray and coat with salt and pepper. Bake on 450 for 35 minutes and you will have crispy, delicious french fries that won't make your stomach hurt.

2. Sweet potato fries

These fries have slowly come into the spotlight. It seems most restaurants now offer this option because people think it is a healthier choice. While it is true that sweet potatoes have fewer carbs and starch than regular potatoes, they can be even healthier when you bake them. Try this side with turkey burgers or some baked chicken.

Cut up a sweet potato into thin slices. Toss in olive oil spray and coat with salt, pepper and paprika. Place on a sheet (spread far apart) and bake for 45 minutes at 350.

3. Carrot fries

I know, it sounds crazy. How on earth could carrots taste like fries? Just trust me. I make these all the time and most people can't even guess what vegetable they are because the carrot taste is completely masked. Just follow the same directions as the sweet potato fries, but broil them for 2-3 minutes after baking.

You won't even be able to tell these fries are actually veggies, I guarantee it. Dip them in some ketchup or ranch and enjoy. 

Share and discuss “Cooking with Anne: Veggie fries three ways” on social media.