COLUMN: Gift ideas for dad that won't cost a penny

Shopping for your dad can be frustrating, especially when you’re on a budget. You’ve probably asked him countless times what he wants for Father's Day and his response was some variation of, “I don’t know. You don’t have to get me anything.”

If this sounds familiar to you, here are some gift ideas that won’t break your bank but will still leave your dad feeling appreciated.  

For the sentimental dad: 

Sometimes activities as a family are better than material gifts. Recreate a memory from an old family photograph and build a day around him. 

My family has done this before. We recreated an old family fishing photo and took him out fishing again to create new memories This is easily customizable for any family and sure to be something special to remember. 

For the adventure dad:

This one requires a love for a little crafting, but it’s perfect for the dad who loves family road trips and adventures. 

You’ll need a large map, a picture frame for that map, string, tacks, paperclips and your favorite family trip photos. 

Place tacks on all the places you’ve been together as a family and connect them all with the string. Then, use paperclips to attach the pictures of the trips to the string. Frame and gift to your dad as the perfect office decoration. 

For the hairy dad:

Each year on Father’s day I gift my dad homemade shaving cream that he loves. The recipe is relatively simple and definitely budget friendly. 

What you will need:

1/3 cup of solid coconut oil

1/3 cup of shea butter

1/2 cup of olive oil

A couple of drops of essential oil; I prefer eucalyptus but pick whatever you think he will like

An air-tight jar; I used a mason jar

Directions:

Combine the shea butter and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and melt for 1 minute or until liquefied. 

Pour in olive oil and drops of essential oil and stir to combine.

Place in the fridge for a couple of hours until the consistency is similar to that of soft butter. 

Whisk ingredients until it becomes a nice whipped texture.

Transfer the shaving cream into your favorite jar. 

Not only will your dad be sure to use it, but it's also easy, cost-effective and with the leftover ingredients you can make multiple batches. 

For the dad who loves food

Crack a cold one open with your old man and let him relax as you cook him his favorite meal. This is pretty simple, but what better way to express your love and appreciation than through food? 

Go all out if you can. If your dad prefers a particular type of cuisine, be as authentic as possible. Whether that be Indian, Italian, or a classic American barbecue, it will mean more that you tried to cook his favorite meal rather than going to a restaurant. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Gift ideas for dad that won't cost a penny” on social media.