COLUMN: Where to eat vegan on campus

<p>The Wellness Kitchen on South Donahue on Friday, June 30, 2017.</p>

The Wellness Kitchen on South Donahue on Friday, June 30, 2017.

If you’re following a vegan lifestyle or even just a plant based one, you don’t have to search too far on campus to find delicious food. So, if you’re tired of settling for the boring side items instead of actual meals or annoyed with having to pack your lunch everyday and seemingly wasting all of that TigerDining money, here are a few spots on campus to accommodate your vegan tastes.    

Papa John’s   

When most people think of pizza, the cheese is the star of the show, but it is easy to replace this ingredient with an equally delicious option that’ll satisfy any pizza lover. The crust and the sauce at Papa John’s are already vegan. The garden vegetable pizza is great and although it has to be prepared separately from the rest ready to go pizza’s when asking for no cheese, the wait time usually is no longer than 10 minutes.    

Au Bon Pain   

ABP has an extensive selection of soups and salads that are vegan. The soups change daily, but there are always at least two vegan options customers can enjoy. The 12 Veggie soup is a staple daily but other options to look out for are Barley and Creamy Lentil, Curried Rice and Lentil, French Moroccan Tomato, Tuscan White Bean and their Vegan Chili. Their specialty salads are made to order, and it is easy to substitute any diary or meat options for something more to your liking. They also have a great selection of artisan breads and bagels.

AU India

One of my favorite places to eat on campus is AU India in Foy. It has both vegetarian and vegan-friendly. Most days it serves dairy-free curry, and their seasoned veggies make a great addition to any meal. 

Terra Nova Salads

Salads are an obvious option if you're vegan but this salad place is one of the best on campus. They have made to order salads and wraps, and the selection of fresh ingredients are easy to mix to make a filling and tasty lunch. They have multiple dairy-free dressings and salads toppings. Also, if you ask for no meat, they add an extra scoop of veggies. 

The Wellness Kitchen and FIT station at Village Dining

The Wellness Kitchen is a little pricier than some of the other places on campus, but the quality of the food makes up for it. The buffet-style selection provides customers with pasta, vegetables, and fresh fruits to make a customized vegan plate. 

The FIT station at Village Dining is similar in its buffet style and ideal for alternative options with a special vegan bar. 

If you're just looking for something to snack on, Starbucks has a selection of vegan bagged treats as well as Outtakes where you can find packaged vegan cookies and fruity Steel City Pops. 

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that AU India carries a dairy-free Gulab Jamun dish. That was incorrect. The Gulab Jamun dish is dairy based and is not vegan. It is vegetarian. We regret the error.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Where to eat vegan on campus” on social media.