Furyk finishes 'solid round' at Barbasol Championship

After missing his first major since 1995, Jim Furyk finished a solid opening round at the Barbasol Championship on Thursday.

Furyk fired a two-under, 69 under the hot sun at Grand National on Thursday. The 47-year-old birdied the first two holes of his round before trading a bogey and birdie on his third and fourth holes. He finished the final 14 holes of his round with a par.

“Got off to a great start birdieing the first two. Kind of got up and down to start,” the 17-time winner on the PGA Tour said. “Three birdies and a bogey through 4, and then I made 14 pars, so it got real boring quick.

“But it was a solid round. I made some good saves, got the ball up and down a few times to save par, and then also hit it close a few times and wasn’t able to make birdies.”

Furyk was paired with K.J. Choi and Davis Love III, who finished two-under and one-over, respectively.

The trio will tee off at 1:04 p.m. Friday afternoon, and Furyk feels he is in a spot to finish strong over the weekend.

“(Today) wasn’t a great round by any means, but it was a good, solid round and kind of keeps me in there,” Furyk said.

When Furyk finished his round, he was four shots off the lead behind Martin Flores and Cameron Triangle.

Share and discuss “Furyk finishes 'solid round' at Barbasol Championship ” on social media.