Update: Police arrest suspect in connection with Sunday night shooting

WEDNESDAY UPDATE: The Auburn Police Division has arrested a suspect in connection with a Sunday night shooting that killed one.

Police arrested 25-year-old Demetrious Andre Newell Jr. from Cusseta, charging him with murder.

The shooting occurred Sunday night at about 9:45 p.m.. When police arrived on the scene of the shooting in the 500 block of Foster Street, they found 28-year-old Anthony Jamal Davis dead. He was pronounced dead at 11:10 p.m. by the coroner.

Police said the homicide happened after an altercation. Police obtained a warrant for Newell and he then turned himself into police officers at the Auburn Police Division. He's being held at the Lee County Jail on a $150,000 bond.

MONDAY UPDATE: The Lee County Coroner's Office has identified the shooting victim to be 28-year-old Anthony Jamal Davis, from Auburn.

Auburn Police are investigating a homicide that occurred Sunday night on Foster Street.

Police received a report of shots fired at an apartment in the 500 block of Foster Street in northwestern Auburn. Police received the call at about 9:45 p.m., police said. When officers arrived, a non-responsive male was lying in a field behind the complex.

The victim, a 28-year-old from Auburn, died at the scene after suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. Paramedics attempted to treat him at the scene before he died and was pronounced dead by the Lee County Coroner at 11:10 p.m.

Police are asking anyone with any information about the homicide to call the non-emergency, 24-hour number at 334-501-3100. You can also reach the police at the detectives' section at 334-501-3140 or the anonymous tip line at 334-246-1391.

The victim is being transported to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences State Medical Examiner's Office in Montgomery for an examination. Police, the state Medical Examiner and the Coroner's Office will continue to investigate the case.

Share and discuss “Update: Police arrest suspect in connection with Sunday night shooting” on social media.