Sexual assault reported on campus

A sexual assault was reported to have happened on campus in a residence hall on Monday night. The Auburn University Department of Campus Safety and Security was alerted of the situation tonight.

The residence hall in which the incident happened is unknown at the moment. 

Public Safety sent out a notice this evening letting students know of an incident that has recently taken place.

The assault was reported by a third party who is allegedly a friend of the victim's friend. There are no other details released at this time.

A message from Campus Safety and Security.

If you are a victim of sexual assault, you should:

• Preserve the evidence. Do not shower or change your clothing. 
  • Dial 911 for emergency assistance or immediately go to the nearest hospital (in the Auburn area, East Alabama Medical Center located at 2000 Pepperell Parkway in Opelika, Alabama) to get medical care and request a Sexual Assualt Forensic Exam ("rape kit"). 
  • Report it. 
    • Dial 911 ( emergencies) or 334-501-3100 to reach the Auburn Police Division. The police are the only entity that can investigate a sexual assault for the means of criminal prosecution. It is important for them to gather evidence as soon as possible. 
    • Dial 334-844-4794 to report the incident to the Auburn University Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Office receives official complaints of violations of the university's Title IX Policy. 
    • All survivors are encouraged to report the assault, but it is always the survivor's choice whether or not to do so. 

This is a developing story.

Share and discuss “Sexual assault reported on campus” on social media.