City of Auburn launches new website

screen_shot_20170803_at_45422_pm

The City of Auburn launched a new, easy-to-use website interface at the beginning of August. The new site, located at auburnalabama.org, is available on all web-available devices, including mobile. 

Director of Public Affairs David D. Dorton said the previous format of the City’s website has been up for at least 10 years and began to look dated. 

“This is the third major version of our website which started in the late ‘90s,” Dorton said. “We actually took our time in doing it so we could have a lot of input from all departments and to make sure it met the needs of everybody who needs to communicate through it.” 

Upon viewing the homepage of the new website, users will see a picture of Toomer’s Corner and a bar at the top with tabs labeled “Government,” “Services,” “Community” and “How Do I?” 

Directly below the picture are icons which will allow users to pay for utility services, contact city officials and find jobs for the City. 

Below the icons are press releases featuring the latest news from the City of Auburn. 

All of the work that went into the making of the new website was done by City employees overseen by Co-Director of IT Christopher Graff, and the job of managing content in the future will be done by Dorton. 

Dorton said his favorite part about the new website is its accessibility on all types of different devices, and that previous to the transition the City’s website’s “age was showing because it wasn’t built for cellphones.” 

According to Dorton, the community’s reaction to the change has been generally positive, with appreciation being paid to the new look of the site as well as the greater accessibility with mobile devices.