Auburn is stepping up to clean up

This year Auburn is introducing the GameDay Challenge, a new initiative in place to get the students and friends of Auburn involved in the maintaining of the campus’ beauty as well as the reducing waste.

This challenge is a nationwide competition where college students go head to head with other universities to see who can recycle the most at home games. Rewards for students caught recycling at home games include an autographed football by the head coach and recognition on the world famous Jordan-Hare video board.

Being the winner of these rewards is simple, students have to recycle their plastics and aluminum into the bins inside the stadium or at the tailgating areas on game days.

Expanding past the busy football season, this spring another competition launches called RecycleMania. Auburn students will, again, be competing against other colleges and universities over an eight-week period to see who can produce the most recycling.

“Everyday more and more students are making a difference at Auburn through their involvement in sustainability related activities," said Jennifer Moorse, communications manager of sustainability.

Recycling, using the War Eagle bike share, eating Auburn Foods and joining student organizations that work to make the world a better place and give back to the community are among some of the many adjustments Moorse suggests to encourage students to become more sustainable.

Sustainability at Auburn, however, is not confined to student competitions. Everyone in the community is expected to get involved and do their part including athletics going green by converting Plainsman Park to all LED lighting and Tiger Dining’s new food waste initiative.

This year Auburn sets to be an example for how to achieve sustainability at a large University.

"It’s the little things like putting cans in the green bins instead of trash cans and using refillable water bottles instead of buying countless disposable ones," Moorse said.

"Thanks to these new recycling efforts, Auburn will forever remain the loveliest village on the plains."

Share and discuss “Auburn is stepping up to clean up” on social media.