Auburn Miss Homecoming Top 5 candidates announced

Below are the Top 5 Miss Homecoming candidates:

• Candace Mulherin, nominated by YoungLife
  • Kayla Warner, nominated by Black Student Union
  • Morgan Gaston, nominated by Kappa Alpha
  • Nicole Finley, nominated by Chi Omega
  • Camille Smith, nominated by Alpha Delta Pi

One day after the releasing of the Top 20 candidates for Miss Homecoming, the back of Cater Hall filled once more for the announcement of the Top 5 Miss Homecoming candidates.

Moments after 8 p.m., with the upper quad filled with potential candidates and those showing their support, Catherine Milling, executive director of elections for SGA, proceeded to the top of the steps to announce the five candidates chosen by the elections board based of merit, interviews and other factors.

These top five include Candace Mulherin, Kayla Warner, Morgan Gaston, Nicole Finley and Camille Smith.

The women were instantly congratulated as they made it to the stage and accepted the beginning of the campaign. After rounds of pictures and speaking as a group, each was given the opportunity to share their astonishment and excitement for their accomplishment.

“It feels really unreal. I think that I wasn’t expecting to ever be here, but the fact that I get to stand here alongside these women is a really cool opportunity,” Mulherin said “I am very excited to share my platform and my passions with the Auburn student body during homecoming week.”

Finley in her response made sure to stress the importance of the campaign and the awaited announcement of her platform.

"What I am really excited about is to bring my platform to Auburn and that is the really the only reason why I am doing this,” Finley said. “I am just excited for Auburn men and women to get to hear my heart and you know why I am doing this.”

Others were just thankful and excited that they have the opportunity.

"I would say, definitely the Lord, I could not have done this from my own merit. I’m so excited," Gaston said as she recovered from the excitement of the announcement.

The five women will have several opportunities to share their platforms over the comings weeks.

“Well it’s just exciting to have an opportunity to represent my university in this way,” Warner said. “[I] haven’t been trying to psych myself up too much [or] think too much about it because if it’s in His will, you know, then it’s supposed to happen.”

One thing was ubiquitous among the candidates, though, and that was the sense of awe. As they get the chance to become acquainted with what lies ahead for them, they must continue working on their platforms and preparing for the campaign week that lies ahead.

The winner of Miss Homecoming will be announced at halftime of the Homecoming game, which this year will be against Mercer on Sept. 16. The candidates will be able to campaign during the week leading up to the election.

“I am super grateful for the opportunity; it is very surreal for sure,” Smith said as she took in the exciting moment

Loren Kimmel, campus editor, and Cole McCauley, Jon Smithart and Paul Brock, campus writers, contributed reporting and writing to this report.

Share and discuss “Auburn Miss Homecoming Top 5 candidates announced” on social media.