Best Buddies Program: 'A blessing'

Best Buddies was first established in 1993 with only 20 members and continues to be an organization focused on its mission. The mission of Best Buddies is to establish a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one to one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Students all across campus volunteer to be Buddies and during the school year they begin to connect with their Buddies and also get the opportunity to help them give back to the community. Each semester the program works with multiple organizations around Lee County and on campus organizations to better our community.

Ashlie Cline, freshman and Buddy, has thoroughly enjoyed being a part of Best Buddies. She said some of her favorite activities as the holiday parties. 

"There are so many incredible events that the Best Buddy organization throws each year, but my favorite was the Halloween Party," Cline said. "My buddy David dressed as a pilot and the whole night he told everyone, ‘My coat isn’t real but my badge and hat are from my time in the Air Force.’ He had a blast trick-or-treating and we ate more candy than we probably should have. Definitely a fun night.” 

The event is focused solely on the Buddies and would not be possible without the help of the volunteers.

For the students who volunteer to be apart of this amazing program it is not a job or a task, but a blessing Cline said. 

"This program has been life changing for me," said Brittney Roszell, freshman. "I truly believe that the Buddies have changed my heart from the inside out. I always know that once I enter a Best Buddy party anything that is on my mind or going on in my life that I’m worried about just disappears. I can always count on the amazing college members or buddies to put a smile on my face.” 

For those interested in involvment, Best Buddies can be found on the Haley Concourse during Organization Days. For more information, you can find them on Facebook, AUInvolve and Twitter. 

Share and discuss “Best Buddies Program: 'A blessing'” on social media.