Changes are coming to campus dining this fall

Tiger Dining is welcoming Einstein Bros. Bagels, Panera, Mama's Chicken and Biscuits and Firetruck Bar-B-Que to hungry campus-goers this fall. 

Einstein Bros. Bagels will arrive on campus as the newest restaurant, opening on the ground floor of the Haley Center across from the University Bookstore ― more than a year after its original planned opening date.

The new breakfast spot has been in development since being voted on by over 2,900 students in a ballot referendum in April 2016, showing the desire for the restaurant after its removal from Lupton Hall in 2012.

“This is something the students wanted,” said a spokesperson for Tiger Dining. “You asked for it, you got it.”

Students originally voted for Einstein Bro. Bagels to go in the new Mell Street Classrooms but Panera Bread, another student-aged favorite and parent company of Einstein's, approached the University about the space.

Ultimately, another survey was held and students voted for Einsteins to go in Haley and Panera to go in Mell. Einstein's was originally set to open in fall 2016, but the opening date was pushed back after issues with construction.

As for the Panera Bread that was voted on last April to appear in the new Mell Street Classrooms, there is not a definite date for its completion.

“I don’t know if it will be put in [to the Mell classrooms] later this fall or spring, but it’s coming,” said Candice Nagel, director of marketing for Dining by Chartwells.

There are going to be a few changes to already existing restaurants on campus too, according to Nagel.

AFC in Foy is now going to be Mama’s Chicken and Biscuits and offer a wider selection of traditional southern food. Next to API Trading Company on the ground floor of the Student Center, will be a food stand offering Sambazon acai bowls, Nagel said.

The AU Smokehouse will now be operated by Firetruck Bar-B-Que and will be called The AU Smokehouse by Firetruck Bar-B-Que. The food truck owned by the barbecue company will still be on campus as well. 

Share and discuss “Changes are coming to campus dining this fall” on social media.