Emmy-nominated Tituss Burgess to take part in Tiger Talk Aug. 31

A famous high tenor voice will be singing its way to Auburn University this fall.

Emmy-nominated television and Broadway star Tituss Burgess will be visiting The Plains to lead a Tiger Talk on Aug. 31 at 6 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

"We believe that Tituss Burgess is a light-hearted speaker who discusses issues relevant to all adults and that college students are faced with every day," Briana Carter, UPC president, said. "He addresses not only serious issues relating to race, sexuality and support for the arts, but he also tells stories about his childhood, family, and relationships."

Burgess is from Athens, Georgia, and is most known for his role as Titus Andromedon in the hit Netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

However, some of his most credible performances come from his career on Broadway. Burgess was in the original cast “Sebastian the Crab” in The Little Mermaid musical and became the first male actor to portray the role of The Witch in Into the Woods with the DreamCatcher Theatre in Miami, Florida.

"Being from Athens, Georgia, Tituss has an abundance of stories about growing up in his grandmother’s southern and family-centric home, to which we believe many Auburn students can relate and will enjoy," Carter said.

The University’s UPC is excited to host him as one of the Tiger Talk speakers for this year, Carter said.

"We believe a lecture event featuring Tituss Burgess would allow us to meet our goal of hosting a relevant and educational speaker," Carter said. "But it would also allow UPC to better represent Auburn’s student population through programming events featuring a diverse group of artists."

"We feel that it is important to promote the perspectives of a variety of speakers with a variety of backgrounds," Carter said.

A valid student ID is required to attend this event. Seats are limited, and since turnout rates are expected to be high, students should show up early to secure their spots.  

Mikayla Burns | Managing Editor

Mikayla Burns, senior in journalism and Spanish, is managing editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Emmy-nominated Tituss Burgess to take part in Tiger Talk Aug. 31” on social media.