ESPN: President Leath says softball program under comprehensive review

Amidst a growing controversy surrounding Auburn's softball program and two of its now-former coaches, President Steven Leath has told ESPN the program is now undergoing a comprehensive review.

The ESPN article doesn't directly quote Leath but reports that he said the investigation began in fall 2016 and is still ongoing. He also reportedly told the sports news outlet that the University has hired the Birmingham-based, high-power law firm Lightfoot, Franklin & White as outside counsel.

A statement issued to The Plainsman by a University spokesperson after ESPN's article was published downplayed the nature of the ongoing investigation.

“An investigation was launched when concerns were raised about the softball program," the spokesperson said. "While it’s substantially completed and appropriate actions were taken as a result, university officials are determining if any unresolved issues remain.”

Tuesday's statement comes after a report from ESPN Saturday that a former softball player filed a Title IX sexual discrimination complaint, alleging there was a pattern of sexual harassment and abuse by coaches on Auburn's staff.

Leath said the investigation — which was opened after numerous ethics complaint were filed by players — intensified after Nemeth's Title IX complaint was received by the University, ESPN reported.

In a separate 14-page letter sent by Milwaukee attorney Martin Greenberg, who is representing former walk-on pitcher Alexa Nemeth, Nemeth alleged former softball head coach Clint Myers knowingly let his son and then-softball associate head coach Corey Myers pursue and have "relations with multiple members of the team."

Clint Meyers cut Nemeth from the team in the spring after the 2017 season.

The news of the complaint came just days after Clint Myers abruptly retired. According to the report, the complaint was sent a month prior to Clint Myer's retirement.

A copy of the complaint was also forwarded to Gov. Kay Ivey, whose spokesperson Saturday said she received the complaint and immediately forwarded to the University's General Counsel.

"Governor Ivey fully supports President Leath and is sure that Auburn University will fully protect all student-athletes," said Ivey's spokesman Daniel Sparkman.

The Plainsman has filed a total five open record and FOIA requests with the Governor's Office, the University and the U.S. Department of Education since April. No documents have been sent back. One request turned no documents, and one request was declined.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “ESPN: President Leath says softball program under comprehensive review” on social media.