Gov. Kay Ivey files paperwork needed to run for full term

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has filed the paperwork needed to run for governor in next year's election, further showing her intention to seek a full term as the state's chief executive.

Ivey filed paperwork with the Alabama Secretary of State's Office last week, establishing a campaign committee that will allow her to campaign and fundraise. Alabama election law requires candidates to file this form.

The governor — who ascended to the post in April after the resignation of former Gov. Robert Bentley — has so far avoided questions about whether she would seek a full term. In her press conferences so far, Ivey has said she would rather "steady the ship of state" before deciding if she would run.

Ivey's spokesman, Daniel Sparkman, said Ivey will soon

"Governor Ivey continues to seriously consider her future. She is always prepared to be successful and is strongly leaning toward a decision," he said.

Ivey recently started a statewide education tour, dubbed the Listen, Learn, Help and Lead Tour, which closely resembles what would otherwise be a campaign. Ivey made a stop in Auburn and visited several locations on campus and did a roundtable with community leaders at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center.

A lawyer working for Ivey also recently filed paperwork with the Secretary's Office that reserved the name of an incorporated campaign organization.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Gov. Kay Ivey files paperwork needed to run for full term” on social media.