Games on The Plains: Fall games to look forward to

With fall comes the biggest shopping season of the year, and with that comes some of the year's biggest video games.

The following list features ones that I think will not only be hits but also influence the future of games.

Call of Duty: WWII (Nov. 3 – PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4)

The series may have an epic revival with "WWII" bringing the series back to its origins. In fact, the last call of duty based on "WWII" was "Call of Duty: World at War" in 2008.

The multiplayer for "Call of Duty" has become very futuristic over the years with everything from jetpacks to cloaking shields, but "WWII" will focus on the simpler, boots-on-the-ground combat found in the earlier entries. There will still be some of the elements found in newer "Call of Duty" games such as the fast-paced run and gun style and powerful kill streaks. 

Middle Earth: Shadow of War (Oct. 10  PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4)

One problem I had with "Shadow of Mordor" was that the game’s world looked almost the same everywhere. However, from what has been shown of "Shadow of War" so far, it looks like there will be a larger variety of environments in the game. 

"Shadow of War" will also improve on how players control orcs, a mechanic which had limited use in "Shadow of Mordor." Now, players can build up massive customized armies and deploy them in “fortress battles” where the player’s army faces off against an AI’s army, and the battles themselves are much larger than anything found in the first game.  

Gran Turismo Sport (Oct. 17 – PlayStation 4)

The primary reason I'm excited for "Gran Turismo Sport" over "Project Cars 2" is because of Polyphony Studios' deal with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile, the largest governing body for professional racing. According to Polyphony Studios, players who complete all the driving missions will receive an official FIA license in the mail, but details are still being worked out for this arrangement. 

Unfortunately, the series is still a PlayStation exclusive, and players need a PS4 Pro and a 4K television to fully utilize the new graphics. Also, the extensive details put into the game's graphics limit the game to 150 cars and 27 circuits.

Super Mario Odyssey (Oct. 27 – Nintendo Switch)

With "Breath of the Wild" being a few months old now, Nintendo Switch users are ready for another great game, and Super Mario Odyssey intends to be Nintendo’s solution.

The game builds off the classic Mario 3D platform games but will feature some new, open worlds such as a teeming metropolis that veteran players may not recognize.

Mario’s hat is now a useful tool that can fly on its own. It allows Mario to merge with creatures in the game, using their powers to solve puzzles, open up new areas and traverse where Mario can't on his own. 

Share and discuss “Games on The Plains: Fall games to look forward to” on social media.