James Madison coach Mickey Dean named new softball coach

Mickey Dean, who has spent his last five seasons at James Madison University, has been named Auburn's head softball coach. 

“Coach Dean’s accomplishments at JMU are remarkable,” Auburn Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said in a statement Thursday. “He’s won consistently at every level throughout his career. He’s done it the right way, winning with class and integrity while graduating his student-athletes at a high level. Auburn already has a winning program and we're going to get even better. He’s a great fit for Auburn.”

Dean had a record of 237-56 (.809) with JMU and reached the NCAA Regional four times with four straight Colonial Athletic Association conference titles.

“It is an honor to be named the leader of the Auburn softball program,” Dean said. “I want to thank President Leath, Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs and the Board of Trustees for the exciting opportunity to lead this program. The future is bright for Auburn softball. We want the fans to be as excited as we are to come out and watch the program represent them in the highest standing.”

Prior to coaching with JMU, Dean coached at Radford University for six seasons. While there, he won four conference titles and reached the NCAA Regional twice.

Dean's selection as Auburn's head softball coach comes just a month after former head coach Clint Myers retired abruptly despite his contract extending into 2020. Clint Myers and his son, assistant head coach Corey Myers, later became the subject of sexual harassment and abuse allegations after ESPN published an article quoting former players.

Corey Myers, who resigned in March, reportedly was engaging in sexual relationships with student athletes.

Share and discuss “James Madison coach Mickey Dean named new softball coach” on social media.