Moore and Strange to finish battle in debate, runoff

The battle waged between Alabama Republicans vying to nab the party nomination for now-Attorney General Jeff Sessions' former Senate seat will finally come to an end next week.

Alabama voters will head to the polls on Tuesday, Sept. 26, to choose between former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore and incumbent Sen. Luther Strange, but before they do, the pair will face off Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in Montgomery in their first and only debate.

Strange has racked up money and support from the GOP establishment. Sen. Mitch McConnell has poured millions of PAC money into ads for Strange.

President Donald Trump, a man who was once in the same position as Moore, has tweeted in support of Strange for months and will appear at a Friday rally in Huntsville with the senator. He also attended a Huntsville rally for Strange last week.

“‘Big Luther’ is a great guy who gets things done!” the president tweeted on Saturday.

The controversial Moore has raised a fraction of what Strange has, according to campaign finance filings, and lacks a large amount of support from national GOP figures.

Most of his support has come from less establishment conservative figures.

In recent weeks, ultra-conservative Breitbart News, headed by former White House adviser Steve Bannon, has declared war on Strange, publishing numerous articles critical of the senator.

Actor and martial artist Chuck Norris endorsed Moore in August.

“Chuck Norris is exactly the kind of guy you want on your side,” Moore said in a release after the endorsement.

Former Trump adviser Sebastian Gorka and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin are appearing at a Moore rally in Montgomery on Thursday after the debate.

Though, Moore has nabbed endorsements from those in office around the state.

State Sen. Tom Whatley of Auburn was a part of a group of state legislators that endorsed Moore after the first primary.

Rep. Mo Brooks, who was defeated in the initial Republican primary, endorsed Moore on Saturday.

“This Senate race is down to this: we are in an epic battle between the people of Alabama who put America first and the Washington swamp that hopes to buy Alabama’s Senate seat and put America second,” Brooks said.

In August, Moore finished with 36.7 percent of the Lee County vote and Strange with 32.8 percent, with the majority of the remainder going toward Brooks.

Most recently conducted polls have Moore ahead of Strange. Louisiana-based firm JMC Analytics and Polling released a poll this week that shows Moore with 50 percent of the potential vote and Strange with 42 percent.

The winner of the runoff will face former federal prosecutor Democrat Doug Jones in the general election in December.

Polls will be open on Tuesday, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Polling places can be found online on the Alabama secretary of state’s website.

Share and discuss “Moore and Strange to finish battle in debate, runoff ” on social media.