Voter registration deadline for Senate run-off election extended until Tuesday

Because of state and county office closures caused by Tropical Storm Irma, the Alabama Secretary of State's Office and Gov. Kay Ivey have extended the voter registration deadline until Tuesday at 11:59 p.m.

Eligible voters can register to vote online or by mail with the Alabama Secretary of States Office or at your local Board of Registrars. The special primary runoff is scheduled for Sept. 26.

Ivey signed an executive order Monday extending the deadline. The Secretary of State's Office has no authority to change voter registration deadlines.

If you're unsure of your registration status, you can visit the Secretary of State's website and check your registration.

Registrars recommend the online registration application because it can be processed much faster and easier than the mail-in paper application. The online applications can be processed about four times faster than the traditional paper applications with far fewer errors.

Gov. Kay Ivey called the special election back in April to elect a permanent replacement for the U.S. Senate seat formerly held by now-U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions. A special primary was held Aug. 15 while the special election is scheduled for December.

Sen. Luther Strange, who was appointed by then-Gov. Robert Bentley, is in a heated runoff with former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore. Moore took in the most votes in August and appears, according to most public polling, to be in the lead, though Strange is close behind.

Strange has been backed by establishment forces in the primary. The Senate Leadership Fund, a Mitch McConnell-aligned super PAC, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee have both endorsed him and have launched ads in his favor.

Moore has been backed by more conservative wings of the party.

Share and discuss “Voter registration deadline for Senate run-off election extended until Tuesday” on social media.