Auburn architecture graduate featured in The New York Times

Auburn alumna Elizabeth Lowrey recently received the honor of being featured in The New York Times for her work in the architecture and design community.

During her time at Auburn, Lowrey was a student in the College of Architecture, Design and Construction where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in interior design. Shortly after earning her degree, she became the hire #1 when Elkus Manfredi Architects was founded in 1988 in Boston, Massachusetts. She is presently a principal and the director of interior architecture.

“Auburn taught me about passion, excellence and collaboration,” Lowrey said. “The interior architecture program was very unusual for its time in that the building science, architecture and interior design departments worked together – all the components necessary to create a successful work environment.”

The New York Times piece featured Lowrey’s workspace and highlighted different aspects that help her draw inspiration. One of the main focus points of the room is Lowrey’s “Wall of Ideas” where she and her team will constantly add different items such as pictures and ticket stubs throughout the day.

Some other ideas that inspire Lowrey are fashion and mixed media, which is what she describes as “the marriage of opposites.” Even a turquoise bottle motivates her to keep hydrated while also providing a sentimental touch, reminding her of her grandmother.

Lowrey was extremely honored for herself and her firm to be included in such a prestigious news source like The New York Times.

“It is thrilling,” she said. “I am especially happy to be recognized in The New York Times business section and also that the journalist mentions collaboration.”

The Auburn College of Architecture, Design, and Construction is still a thriving program at the University. Lowrey offered a few tips to the students in the program.

“Create a network of colleagues and mentors; put yourself out there and learn to listen. Design school can give you the impression that you know more about design than your client,” Lowrey said. “But your client always knows more than you do about the problems that need to be solved.”

Share and discuss “Auburn architecture graduate featured in The New York Times” on social media.