Award winning author and biologist to speak Oct. 19

Award-winning author and biologist Sean Carroll will speak to speak to students and faculty October 19. 

In an Auburn University College of Sciences and Mathematics Leadership Council Distinguished Lecture, Carroll will discuss his book “The Serengeti Rules: The Quest to Discover How Life Works and Why it Matters.”

His bestselling book analyzes the efforts of early scientists to answer basic questions about how life works and how their discoveries apply to life from the molecular level to the big picture. In it, he demonstrates how rules governing the natural world continue to inform scientific advances.

Being an internationally recognized evolutionary biologist, Carroll leads the Department of Science Education of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and is the Allan Wilson Professor of Molecular Biology and Genetics at the University of Wisconsin.

Carroll is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Benjamin Franklin Medal in Life Sciences. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the American Philosophical Society, a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science and was elected an associate member of the European Molecular Biology Organization.

Prior to the lecture, a reception and book signing will take place at 5 p.m. in the Sciences Center Auditorium Atrium. The event is free and open to the public.

Share and discuss “Award winning author and biologist to speak Oct. 19 ” on social media.