COLUMN: What it means to be an Auburn Woman

Being a student at Auburn University is something to brag about, but being a woman student at Auburn University is even more rewarding.

Throughout the history of women being at this University, they have brought much success and growth to the community.

In 1892, Willie Little, Margaret Teague and Katherine Broun were the first women to attend what was then Alabama Polytechnic Institute.

They paved the way for all future female students. As someone who falls in that category, I will forever be grateful to them.

Because of these women and all women since then, I, along with every other female student, am able to have the Auburn experience that so many people wish they could have.

It has been 125 years since those women roamed Auburn’s campus. Since then, we have taken steps to overcome gender inequality, which includes our right to higher education.

Thanks to Auburn’s women, we can now go on to be athletes, astronauts, businesswomen or even the president.

Being an Auburn woman automatically creates an empowering surrounding. I never feel inferior to my male peers. I never feel that if I interview for the same position as them that I won’t be able to get it just because they are male and I am female.

Being an Auburn woman means that you are given equal opportunity and the resources to do better than you already have.

Ever since first stepping foot on Auburn’s campus, I felt that the University truly wanted to see success for its students, not just for its own statistics and rankings, but instead for the betterment of the people attending and those who are impacted in the long run.

In the Auburn Creed George Petrie wrote, “I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid.”

I believe it took courage for those first three women to be students and create a lasting impression and example of what it means to be an Auburn woman.

The views expressed in columns do not reflect the opinion of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: What it means to be an Auburn Woman” on social media.