Dave Eggers comes to Auburn to discuss 'The Circle' on Nov. 30

Even though Hurricane Irma forced him to postpone, international bestselling author Dave Eggers will speak to students about Auburn’s Common Book for 2017-2018.

On Nov. 30, Eggers will discuss themes in “The Circle” and how they relate to students, share life experiences and sign the books of those attending the free event.

Eggers is a writer, editor and publisher and has received numerous national and international accolades since his writing career began in the 1990s.

"Dave Eggers is an incredibly talented and insightful author, and Auburn University is thrilled to have him visit this semester as part of the Common Book program," said Jeff LaMondia, program chair for the Common Book: One Book One Auburn program. "We look forward to hearing his unique perspective on the societal impacts of social media and technology as well as continuing the discussion on campus and in the community over the fall semester.”

"The Circle" is the first work of fiction selected for the Common Book: One Book One Auburn program since its inception in fall 2010 and has been compared to George Orwell's "1984" and Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World."

The themes Eggers will discuss about his book will be explored and examined in courses, lectures and other programs throughout the fall semester.

The Common Book: One Book One Auburn program is an initiative of the Office of Undergraduate Studies in partnership with the Auburn Public Library.

Eggers will speak Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

Share and discuss “Dave Eggers comes to Auburn to discuss 'The Circle' on Nov. 30” on social media.