Tropical Storm Watch issued for Auburn area; Nate expected to pass over Saturday into Sunday

The National Weather Service's National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for Lee County and the Auburn area. The watch means that tropical storm-force winds are possible in the area in the next 48 hours.

The watch comes as Tropical Storm Nate — expected soon to strengthen into a hurricane — bears down on the Gulf Coast. The watch lasts until further notice.

On Thursday, Gov. Kay Ivey issued a statewide state of emergency in response to Tropical Storm Nate. That state of emergency took effect early Friday morning.

“I have signed the State of Emergency because it frees up personnel and resources in case there is a need to respond to any storm-related activity,” Ivey said in a statement. “State and local leaders are ready to respond if needed, but our people need to stay weather-aware and heed any directions given by local officials.”

The State Emergency Operations Center in Clanton was activated to Level 3 by the governor, allowing the Alabama Emergency Management Agency to watch the storm and prepare for its impact. 

Several other state agencies have also been notified and are prepared to respond in the event of an emergency.

The storm is expected to intensify as it moves northward. The National Hurricane Center has predicted that the tropical storm could turn into a hurricane by the time it hits the Alabama coast. Hurricane warning and watches are in effect on the coast.

According to the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Birmingham, impacts felt in Central Alabama will depend on the storm system's tack along the Gulf Coast. Increasing rain chances and breezy winds are expected, with Nate affecting the area most on Sunday.

"Now is the time to prepare for the possibility of inclement weather as a result of Tropical Storm Nate," the Lee County Emergency Management Agency posted on its Facebook page on Thursday. "We are monitoring this system closely and as with any tropical system, the impacts to Lee County will depend upon the track that the storm takes, as well as the intensity of the storm."

According to the watch, hazardous winds are possible and there is a reasonable threat of tropical storm force winds of 39–57 mph, but expected gusts should only be 35 mph. Between 1–3 inches of rain is expected, beginning Saturday night into Sunday.

Localized flooding is possible.

According to the NWS, there is a small chance of tornadoes.

Share and discuss “Tropical Storm Watch issued for Auburn area; Nate expected to pass over Saturday into Sunday” on social media.