COLUMN: Living by The Auburn Creed is our responsibility

“I believe this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore I believe in work, hard work.”

The first time I heard the Auburn Creed was at Camp War Eagle.

At first I thought it was just something the counselors had to say, but as my experiences on The Plains have multiplied, my respect and understanding of the Creed has heightened.

As soon as I heard the Creed, there was an instant passion that I felt flutter in my heart. I knew I had to work hard, but this solidified why and gave me a purpose.

Something sparked in me that gave me an extra push of motivation to do my best in everything, no matter how meaningless it seemed at the time.

“I believe in a sound mind, a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid.”

The words of George Petrie are posted all over campus, making it hard to ignore. Auburn’s Creed acts as a personal constitution to students.

It acts as a daily reminder that living a healthy lifestyle, both mentally and physically, will guide us toward a nature that is fearless.

Even though it was written in 1943, the values and morals implanted in the Creed are still relevant and important to reflect upon today.

It has stood the test of time and will live through the Auburn students forever.

George Petrie was not just some random guy that was hired to write this.

Not only was he the author of the Creed, he was Auburn’s first football coach, founder of the school’s beloved orange and blue and the first Alabama resident to ever earn a PhD.

Essentially, he is the epitome of an Auburn man.

Petrie is so significant to Auburn’s history that it makes the Creed feel so much more personal to the University.

It gives Auburn that extra bit of character as if it needed any more.

The words of wisdom and insight that Petrie was able to relay through the Creed inspires me each and every day to live it out and to not only spread it around campus, but everywhere I go.

This piece of writing is so special because it somehow expresses every aspect of life in so few lines.

It can be applied to any facet of life, whether it is to your work ethic, spirituality, physical ability or academic efforts. The Creed is a perfect embodiment of what it means to be an Auburn man or woman.

As an Auburn woman who believes in these things, this is why I believe in Auburn and love it.

The views expressed in columns do not reflect the opinion of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Living by The Auburn Creed is our responsibility” on social media.