Netflix halts 'House of Cards' Season 6 production in wake of Kevin Spacey accusation

Los Angeles (TNS) — Production has halted on "House of Cards" in the wake of a recent accusation levied against Emmy-nominated star Kevin Spacey, Netflix and Media Rights Capital said Tuesday in a joint statement.

"MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on 'House of Cards' Season 6, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew," the statement read.

"Star Trek: Discovery" actor Anthony Rapp came forward Sunday night with an accusation that Spacey had made an unwanted sexual advance on him in 1986, when Rapp was just 14.

Spacey quickly responded to Rapp's allegation with an apology for his "drunken" behavior, which he said he did not recall, before using his official statement to come out as a gay man.

Some in Hollywood criticized Spacey's timing as opportunistic and damaging to the LGBTQ community for conflating pedophilia and homosexuality.

On Monday, Netflix and MRC announced that "House of Cards" would conclude with Season 6. The companies also released a joint statement calling the accusation against Spacey "deeply troubling" and reporting that both organizations had sent executives to Baltimore to speak with cast and crew members currently on set.

"House of Cards" debuted in 2013 and quickly became a player in the prestige television movement, becoming the first original online-only streaming series to receive nominations in major categories at the Emmy Awards.

© 2017 Los Angeles Times. Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Share and discuss “Netflix halts 'House of Cards' Season 6 production in wake of Kevin Spacey accusation” on social media.