Pulitzer Prize-winning author to speak at Auburn

Sonia Nazario, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who wrote the New York Times bestseller “Enrique’s Journey” will present her lecture “Understanding immigration and life on both sides of the border” to members of the University.

“Enrique's Journey” was first published as a series in the Los Angeles Times and won the Pulitzer Prize for feature writing in 2003. It was turned into a book by Random House and became a national bestseller.

Nazario’s recent humanitarian efforts to get lawyers for unaccompanied migrant children led to her selection as the 2015 Don and Arvonne Fraser Human Rights Award recipient by the Advocates for Human Rights.

Nazario, who grew up in Kansas and Argentina, has written extensively about Latinos in the United States. She has been named among the most influential Latinos by Hispanic Business Magazine and a “trendsetter” by Hispanic Magazine. In 2012, Columbia Journalism Review named Nazario among “40 women who changed the media business in the past 40 years.”

“Immigration in general, and students who are English language learners in particular, are too often reduced to simple or scary sound bites for political purposes,” said Jamie Harrison, an assistant professor of English for Speakers of Other Languages in the College of Education. “Of course these issues are complex, and go to the core of our values as a nation. Sonia Nazario speaks to these issues with passion born of experience.”

Her visit to Auburn will include a lecture to the Global Fluency and Awareness class in room 2510 of the new Mell Classroom Building. Nazario will also join select students and faculty for lunch in Tichenor Hall at 12:30 p.m., and conclude with her evening lecture at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Pulitzer Prize-winning author to speak at Auburn” on social media.