Alumni Association celebrates 125 years of Auburn women with commemoration events

To commemorate 125th Anniversary of Auburn Women, the Auburn Alumni Association hosted two major events including a formal luncheon and black-tie gala dinner.

The luncheon included a panel of Auburn women to give current and future students advice as they discussed their own experiences. This panel included Auburn's first female drum major Deborah Lowry, class of '74,  Auburn's first female SGA president, Cindy Holland Torbert, class of '89, Auburn's first African-American cheerleader and Auburn's third female and current SGA President Jacqueline Keck.

The panel was moderated by 125 Years of Auburn Women Committee Chair Melanie Barstad. The luncheon's opening remarks were given by Vice President for Alumni Affairs and Executive Director of the Auburn Alumni Association Gretchen VanValkenburg.

The association's gala dinner featured guest speakers, acting performances by Pam Haney and Aubrey Haney and a lyrical dance from Make Your Move Performing Arts.

VanValkenburg delivered opening remarks for the gala along with the University President Steven Leath and Melanie Barstad. Dinner provided by the Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center followed the event's program.

The event's program was centered around the Auburn Creed with segments of the creed paired with illuminations by Auburn alumnae read aloud. 

Segments were delivered by a number of people including Emma Clark and Catherine Clark, current Auburn students and great-granddaughters of Willie Gertrude Little, one of the original three Auburn women.

Others who delivered the creed included Dwight Wiggins, College of Engineering alumnus and 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award recipient; Cindy Rogers, Harbert College of Business alumna and retired senior executive vice president of Regions Bank; Kim Evans, College of Education alumna and five-time SEC Coach of the Year for women’s golf; Elizabeth Huntley, College of Liberal Arts alumna and a member of the Auburn University Board of Trustees; Jacqueline Keck, current Auburn SGA president; Col. Tanya Anderson, Samuel Ginn College of Engineering alumna and director of readiness at Air Force Civil Engineer Center and Michelle McKenna-Doyle, Harbert College of Business alumna and senior-vice president and chief information officer for the National Football League.

Closing remarks were given by Helen Leslie, the eldest known living alumna of Auburn University.

Share and discuss “Alumni Association celebrates 125 years of Auburn women with commemoration events ” on social media.