City of Auburn hosts 17th annual Veterans Day ceremony

On Friday, the City of Auburn held the annual Veterans Day ceremony at the Veterans Memorial Site near downtown Auburn.

The purpose of the ceremony was to honor those who have fought for and served the country. It included an address from Army veteran Lt. Col. Fred Lacy and featured the East Samford School Choir, directed by Chris Deason, which sang the National Anthem.

Miss Auburn University 2018 Karson Fair and Miss Lee County Fair Outstanding Teen 2018 Sara Beth Huntley assisted Mayor Bill Ham in the official laying of the Veterans Day ceremonial wreath.

This will mark the 17th official Veterans Day ceremony at the Veterans Memorial Site.

“A certain number of years ago, the mayor and the [Auburn] Economic Development Department were key in starting a Veterans Committee,” said David Dorton, city director of public affairs. “[Both] were also responsible for starting the Mayor’s Memorial Day Breakfast, where veterans of Auburn and remembered heroes are honored.”

The plans for the memorial were announced almost two decades ago at the annual breakfast.

It is mostly funded by the sale of bricks, through which friends and family members of veterans can purchase for personal recognition and donations from the community and individuals.

As the ceremony neared a close, retired veteran and musician Dan Drummond played the bagpipe as the final salute to those who have served and are serving.

Share and discuss “City of Auburn hosts 17th annual Veterans Day ceremony” on social media.