COLUMN: Nutrition in the Eyes of a College Student

It’s safe to say we have all heard of the freshman 15, and some of us may have even fallen victim to it. As we noticed the pounds start piling on, we tried every fad diet and detox cleanse that we could possibly find on the internet to get rid of them without any luck. How could our trusty diet expert, Google, lead us astray? Chances are you did what your mom probably told you not to do and believed everything you read, and most of it is wrong.

Between class and work, the club meetings and the increased alcohol consumption (it’s okay, I get it, game days are very stressful) it becomes very difficult to always make good nutritional choices. It seems like we’re always lacking something, whether it be sleep, time or cash, so what or when we eat isn’t always our top priority.

First coming to college, we get free reign over what we eat. We can get Chick-fil-A and pizza for every meal if we want to.

Learning to control that free rein can be a difficult concept to grasp, but it’s definitely better for us to switch out the 12-count nuggets and fries for a piece of baked or grilled chicken with a salad.

It’s also important to take into account our activity levels. A lot of high school students are involved with sports, so exercise was built into their day. Once college hits, the only exercise a lot of people can fit in is the walk between classes. The sudden change in activity level may affect your metabolism a little, but most likely it’s just a lifestyle change that causes the extra few inches around the middle.

Another huge factor associated with college is stress. This definitely plays a role in our eating habits. Some deal with stress by just not eating, which many people don’t realize is just as unhealthy as overeating or eating unhealthy foods.

Others deal with stress by eating too much or making poor choices when it comes to what they eat because its quick or it’s comforting.

A lot of times stress, or maybe even partying, can cause late night munchies. After a long night of cramming for a test or trying to submit that homework assignment by 11:59 p.m., a lot of times we find ourselves needing “brain food,” or at least that’s what we convince ourselves. It’s easy to just go to the vending machine or C-Store, but I think we all know that’s not the healthiest.

Many of us have tried fad diets to get rid of the dreaded freshman 15 only to find that they work for about a week. I don’t care how much you swear by your beloved juice cleanse – they don’t work, and they aren’t healthy. Sure, you may lose weight on it, but I can guarantee that it won’t stay off.

One of the big trends right now is going gluten free. The only reason to take gluten out of your diet is if you’re allergic. Studies have shown that gluten is not the cause of so many health issues. The real culprit is FODMAPs.

I know, you’re probably asking what the heck that is but stay with me. They are the fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols. The English translation is they are carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed by your body.

These are what cause the stomach pain and bloating people often associate with gluten.

As busy college students we are always on the go, and sometimes that makes us let ourselves go.

Maybe instead of searching “how to lose weight fast?” – we all do it don’t deny it –, try for something a little more nutritionally backed up to help with a long lasting healthy lifestyle.

The views expressed in columns do not reflect the opinion of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Nutrition in the Eyes of a College Student” on social media.