Miss Auburn Top 20 to run on Creed, not philanthropic efforts

This year, the women will be running on platforms centered around their favorite lines in the Creed instead of philanthropic platforms.

The Miss Auburn Top 20 was announced to a crowd of shivering students and faculty in the shadow of Cater Hall. Twenty-three hours later, the list was shaved to a mere five women.

This year, the women will be running on platforms centered around their favorite lines in the Creed instead of philanthropic platforms. Scroll down for the list.

The Top 5 are Bria Randal, junior in political science; Mary Spencer Veazey, junior in public relation and communications; Bailey Sullivan, senior in industrial and systems engineering; Zuri Foster, junior in biomedical sciences; Kathryn Kennedy, senior in exercise science.

Miss Auburn Ashley Moates said the switch to the Creed has been considered for a while and it was decided that the role of Miss Auburn should run on her achievements and passion for Auburn.

Moates said they hope the change will allow Miss Auburn to represent the whole University rather than a select few.

"It will really be them telling people about the roles that they have had in other organizations or different speaking opportunities they have had," Moates said.

Catherine Milling, executive director of elections, said the switch to focusing on the Creed will better define the role of Miss Auburn as the hostess of the University. The nominees are running on their own qualifications and how they plan to embody the role of Miss Auburn.

"Everyone who interviewed was fantastic and they did a really great job with it," Milling said.

Milling said many of the girls connected their chosen line to their "walk at Auburn."

Susan Dismukes, junior in human development and family studies, said she was surprised and thrilled to be apart of the Top 20. Dismukes was nominated by Tiger Splashers. Her platform is centered on the line, "I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all."

Dismukes said her major, passions and future align with her selected quote from the Creed.

Milling said the lines, "I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all," and "I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully," were a favorite among the nominees.

Bria Randal, junior in political science and Top 5 candidate, said she felt the selection committee had a hard job choosing from the long list of amazing candidates. Randal said she has seen people in her own life reach out to others for the best and because of that, she is where she is today.

Randal identifies with the human touch.

She said the focus on the Creed and the job of Miss Auburn are now clearer. She said it gives Miss Auburn the chance to brag about her school from the start and focus on the school.

"It's really fun to glorify what Auburn does well," Randal said.

Moates said everything the women have done during their time at Auburn will be looked at and seen as what has prepared them for the role of Miss Auburn. 

Here are the women in the running: 

Miranda Grigas, junior in mechanical engineering

Jessie Floyd, senior in elementary education

Zuri Foster, junior in biomedical sciences

Bonnie DeCarlo, junior in marketing

Lauren Spiwak, senior in accounting

Karoline Thornton, junior in accounting

Virginia Summers, junior in nursing

Mary Spencer Veazey, junior in public relation and communications

Brooke Westhoven, junior in accounting

Lauren Brands, junior in marketing

Kathryn Kennedy, senior in exercise science

Roxie Faulkner, junior in psychology

Catherine Miller, senior in marketing and French

Bailey Sullivan, senior in industrial and systems engineering

Sara Katherine Parks, junior in human development and family studies

Susan Dismukes, junior in rehabilitation services

Bria Randal, junior in political science

Sarah Louise Boland, junior in entrepreneurship and family business 

Abigail Mervis, junior in marketing

Sara Beth Nolan, junior in nursing

Share and discuss “Miss Auburn Top 20 to run on Creed, not philanthropic efforts” on social media.