UPC and LSA partner to host celebration of the Dia de Los Muertos

Students filled the Greenspace Wednesday afternoon as they participated in themed crafts and activities in celebration of the Dia de Los Muertos.

The University Program Council and the Latino Student Association held an event in conjunction with one another on Wednesday to celebrate the Dia de Los Muertos or Day of the Dead.

The annual event had a plethora of stations of Latin-based origins. Due to the event being held on the Green Space in the past, the lack of trees caused difficulty for the organizers to coordinate a piñata station. This was the first year a piñata station was made available.

The organizers used a pulley system to levitate a piñata from photography equipment. Participants were able to blindly batter the papier-mache creation in pursuit of sugar-free candy.

Other stations included a flower crown making station, a paint station for face painting and painting of wooden and sugar skulls and cornhole.

A band performed live bachata music, a blend between Latino and Afro-Caribbean music throughout the event.

Tiger Dining catered the event with many Latin-themed foods. They had chips, queso, tacos and elotes, a traditional Mexican street dish made of grilled corn.

Graham LIivina, president of the Latino Student Association, saw the event as a way to bring people together through the understanding of different cultures.

“The thing about America is that it’s a melting pot. It was founded by immigrants and for immigrants as well," Llivina said. "The whole point of culture in America is to embrace the differences. And for the differences not to separate us, but for the differences to bring us together.”

Llivina believes Latin culture is uniquely important to America as Hispanics represent the fastest growing demographic in America. This growth has also been noticed on Auburn’s campus. According to Llivina, LSA has seen a 20 percent increase in membership this semester alone.

UPC’s Fine Arts committee and its director, Julia Wright, led the organization efforts of the event. The fine arts committee is concerned with promoting inclusion and diversity of cultures.

UPC's Fine Arts committee often partners with other cultural student organizations to host events that promote various culture. 

“We wanted to bring this event to bring awareness of the event and bring people together to celebrate a culture,” Wright said.

Share and discuss “UPC and LSA partner to host celebration of the Dia de Los Muertos ” on social media.